1. Preheat oven to 300°.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with unbleached baking parchment paper.
3. Pull leaves away from stem. Grab the base of the stem with one hand. Then, push outwards along the stem to slide off the leaves. You can also remove the leaves by sliding a sharp knife along both edges of the stem.
4. Wash leaves and pat dry with a tea towel or paper towel. You can also use a salad spinner and blot dry afterwards. Make sure kale is completely dry. Water left on kale will leave it chewy rather than crispy.
5. In a bowl, add kale and avocado oil. Massage kale until evenly coated.
6. In a Magic Bullet, coffee grinder or food processor, add the nutritional yeast, walnuts, and salt and pulse briefly until you get a parmesan-like consistency. Sprinkle mixture over kale and toss. Add sunflower butter and massage again to ensure that all the leaves are nicely coated with all the ingredients.
7. Spread kale onto 2 baking sheets, making sure not to overlap leaves. Season with black pepper. Pop in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for another 10 minutes. Times can vary depending on the oven so keep an eye on your kale so it doesn’t burn.
8. Remove trays from oven. Let cool to allow kale to completely crisp up.
STORAGE TIP: Make sure kale is completely cooled before storing in an air-tight container. 👍
KALE: anti-inflammatory, rich in Vit C and other antioxidants which help protect against free radical damage, a detoxifier
SUNFLOWER BUTTER: high in selenium and Vit E, packed with antioxidants, contains the mineral magnesium which is involved in over 300 biochemical functions in the body (great if you suffer from insomnia and/or have difficulty sleeping!)
NUTRITIONAL YEAST: has antiviral and antibacterial properties, rich in Vit B12, high in protein
Savoury Kale Chips Recipe
➡️ 1 head of kale
➡️ 1/2-1 tbsp avocado oil
➡️ 1 tbsp walnuts, (pre-soaked and dehydrated)
➡️ 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
➡️ 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
➡️ 1-2 tbs sunflower butter
➡️ freshly ground black pepper